MFD Navi System Thread, MFD2 questions in Volkswagen Factory-fit Navigation Systems; I'm considering trying to install an MFD2 in my 04 ...
19th June, 2004, 06:21 #1
- Rep Power
I'm considering trying to install an MFD2 in my 04 US model Jetta (Bora) wagon over the MFD version D or G. A couple of reasons:
1. In the US, AM radio stepping is 10Khz - no one can tell me how this can be changed for the MFD unit, which is set to the euro spec of 9Khz. I listen to AM a lot - mainly for traffic info (sorry, the US is in the dark ages in the traffic info world). I would suffer a serious loss of reception/quality, which I'm not willing to put up with. Since the MFD2 is available in the US Toureg, the unit can either be software coded for the US, or there's a specific US unit available.
2. Larger screen, newer technology. I've heard that the CD in the MFD2 also supports audio CD.
3. Pricing: Same or slighly lower than the MFD at this time on ebay due to less demand.
1. Is the MFD2 indeed standard double DIN?
2. I can see that the faceplate appears much wider than the MFD, and narrows slightly toward the bottom. For someone that has one in their possession, what are the faceplate dimensions: Width ( at top, bottom) and height? There is a significant amount of room on each side and above on the double DIN mounting in the 04 Jetta, so with the dimensions I think it could be done without looking like a butcher job. Since the newer Jetta have the console cupholder, the 'pop out' cupholder area above the double DIN opening is blanked off.
3. Does the CD indeed play audio CDs? This would reduce my investment somewhat, as I don't have the 6 cd player currently.
4. Is a CAN gateway needed, or does this unit connect seamlessly to the CAN?
5. Wiring issues - pretty standard?
Orlando FL USA
By richyrich2 in forum General Questions
Last Post: 5th July, 2004, 15:34
By jkirkebo in forum MFD Navi System
Last Post: 15th June, 2004, 13:32
By pencilneck in forum MFD Navi System
Last Post: 10th June, 2004, 23:41
By richyrich2 in forum MFD Navi System
Last Post: 8th June, 2004, 23:30
By Jiggsyboy in forum MFD Navi System
Last Post: 17th May, 2004, 07:40
Tags for this Thread